The selection of each County Squad is the responsibility of the management team appointed annually by KSFA, together with other KSFA officials where appropriate. The selection criteria for a squad for the season as a whole or for any particular match are based on the managers’/selectors’ judgement and perception of a player’s abilities, attitude/conduct (including factors such as punctuality, appearance and reliability), athleticism, decision-making, fitness levels, commitment (including attendance at training sessions) and the need for team balance. All selection decisions, whether for further trials in the trials process, or for the final squad, are based on the managers’/selectors’ judgement and the KSFA is unable to discuss individual cases.
Once a team or squad is selected, attendance at training is compulsory. No requests for release from training to play in club matches will be considered. Sick or injured players are expected to attend training sessions if it is possible for them to do so. If players cannot attend, the KSFA must be notified at least 24 hours before the training session. If continual absence from training occurs, consultation will take place between player, parents and the KSFA as to their commitment to the team. All team members and their parent/carer are required to attend an information session at a nominated place and date and comply with the directives issued prior to squad membership being confirmed.
At Under 13 level and below players can expect ample and fair time in representative matches - this applies over the county season as a whole, not to each individual match.
At Under 14 and above in Inter-County competition matches, selection and playing time may be made on the ‘best team’ basis although over the season as a whole every effort will be made to involve the whole squad – the extent to which this is possible will depend on the management team’s judgement and perception as outlined above.
The KSFA operates with county squads of 18 (plus reserves where appropriate), although this number may vary slightly. When an entire squad is available or competition rules restrict the numbers that are able to be selected, certain players may be ‘rested’. Every effort will be made not to “rest” players for consecutive matches unless injured or not available. Selection for matches in knock-out competitions will be made on the ‘best team’ basis.
In order to select the players for the team the following will apply:
- Players must be nominated by their schools/districts on the official nomination form, unless there are extenuating circumstances as to why this is not possible
- Players’ parents/carers must complete and sign the official Consent Form and pay the required fee for the trial as determined by the KSFA.
- The KSFA shall administer the selection process.
- A minimum of two managers/selectors are to be at each trial.
- The management team and other KSFA officials shall be the main selectors. Other selectors may be invited by the KSFA as appropriate
- Whenever possible, no selector shall be involved in the selection of any player who is directly related to them, or who attends the school at which they teach, or who plays for any other team with which they are involved.
Trials Specific Information
- The number of trials to be held will be determined by the number of nominations received.
- Each trial shall consist of match play but trials may also incorporate coaching which will form part of the selection process.
- During match play, players can expect to participate for a reasonable length of time across the trial process as a whole – as determined by the managers/selectors for the purposes of making judgments. Some players may receive more game time than others.
- Every endeavour shall be given to trialling players in their preferred positions, although there will be occasions when a player is asked to trial in another position.
- Selectors shall consider all aspects of the game including (but not limited to) physical ability, skill, tactics and attitude.
- Selectors shall reach decisions by consensus wherever possible. If consensus cannot be reached, a vote by the main selectors shall be held.
- When selecting one player before another, selectors shall make an “on balance” decision, based on all the attributes and abilities shown by the players.
- Following the final trial a squad of 18 players plus reserves will be announced. When selecting the final squad, selectors shall consider the balance of the squad in terms of positional play.
- Prior achievements and accomplishments outside of trials and squad training may be considered.
- Injured players may be given time to trial by being exempted from early trials or by being included in squads provided the time-line is sufficient to enable adequate preparation after selection.